Sunday, January 22, 2012

'Ken Tiao Pan'


I always tell myself that I must learn how to cook and prepare dishes that I like to eat. Why? Morbid as you might say about me, I'm worried that some day there is no chance of eating the 'famous assam laksa at Jalan XXX', famous this and yummy that at XYZ restaurant. Hence, I made a simple goal to myself - to learn to prepare dishes that I like to eat ^^. So far, I've learnt a couple of dishes and this time, in the spirit of Chinese New Year, I thought of learning to make one of my favourite recipes - pan mee.

'Ken Tiao Pan' is similar as pan mee, the only difference is the shape. Instead of rolling through the noodle maker machine, it is torn by hand. I learnt this recipe from my Mother-in-law and thought of giving it a go for our dinner tonight : )

First, I prepared the dough. As this was my attempt at kneading a dough, I was quite scared of ruining my dough. But TheLoyalFan told me not to worry as it is just a matter of balancing out the ingredients. Hehehe, not only TheLoyalFan is my food tester, he's kinda my advisor too!
The ingredients were simple - plain flour, eggs, salt and water. After kneading the dough and getting the right texture, the dough was completed and it was covered with a damp cloth and rested for half and hour.

Then I made the condiments a.k.a. 'liew' (hehehehe). I debone some drumsticks and for this, I learnt from a Youtube video uploaded by an American Chinese. Once the drumsticks were chopped into smaller pieces, I fried it in a pan together with some sliced mushrooms and mook yee. Then added some water to make gravy and season it to be slightly saltier than normal tasting. I also made an ikan bilis soup by frying ikan bilis and poured fish stock to boil together. Thereafter, I've added in lettuce since there is no 'pucuk manis' in Manchester.




This noodle can be eaten either the dried version or the soup version.

The outcome? Both versions were really good. Although I had a panic attack while kneading the dough, I think this dish can be prepared by anyone who loves pan mee. I tried to make the sauce abit thicker... but made a mistake by putting the flour directly into the sauce. The correct way is to dilute the flour in water then pour into the dish. LOL!

TheLoyalFan says: 'Perfect food for a cosy reunion dinner. Completely satisfying...YUM!'

I'm glad that this was accomplished - one favourite dish done and many more to go. Woohoo!!!

That's all for now. Wishing you a wondeful Chinese New Year and enjoy those sunny days, cookies and all goodies that are only available during the Lunar New Year. Till then, je vous souhaite une bonne journée. Au revoir! (I wish you a good day ahead. Goodbye!)

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps some description on the flour you used to thicken the sauce, plain, corn, tapioca, rice, thickening, self raising, etc?

    >.<

    Well done! Hope you both have a very happy and satisfying Chinese New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I used plain flour but I think corn flour also can : )

    ReplyDelete